Tuesday 9 September 2008

Heavy metal and flowers

Had the surgery done on my arm and plating successfully done with new piece of metal now in place. Amazing the capacity of the human body to cope with serious intervention. Lots of the movement at my elbow is now back already though still pretty painful- hopeful that will ease as healing carries on. Radiotherapy now lined up for both the surgery area but also at my wrist where I'm having more myeloma related pain( my wrist broke a couple of years ago).

Interesting to note how different wards can be in different hospitals and covering different areas. In having my surgery done I was in a general orthopaedic ward. One thing different was that the ward was full of flowers whereas if I end up in Ward 8 ( Haematology ward) at the Western, flowers are prohibited. Also, I became a bit concerned when the guy in a bed opposite was hit by a serious chest infection- knowing how low my white counts are I don't think I'm being neurotic-just careful of the possibility of infections. Should I say something? Should I just ignore it? As it was, the Ward sister said she had tried to get me into a single room away from the risk of infection but it just wasn't possible.

Still wallowing in the enjoyment of Croatia and I note from Susie Hemingway's blog how important such holidays were for she and her husband( http://susiehemingway.blogspot.com/) Thanks for the comment Susie.

3 comments:

Susie Hemingway said...

Hi Stewart, I shall be following your blog and journey with such great interest. I send heaps of rainbows and buckets of stars and every good wish.
Sincere Regards Susie.

jon_clarke said...

Hi Stewart

As ever your blogs are compelling reading. Always good to get another good holiday in, Jackie and I now try to work between holidaying, rather than holiday between working ;-)

You may be interested that three friends have just completed the west highland way

http://www.justgiving.com/astepahead

Indeed I don't seem to be away from these boards just now with various collections and activities from friends and colleagues, probably a sign of being at that age...

however your blogs did remind me of one of Ghandis maxims, live as if this were your last day, learn as if you will live forever. (good buddhist philosophy)

as always good luck in all things

ca canny, Jon

Alistair said...

Hello Stewart
Glad to read that you are making good progress. As with JC I am now keen to read your latest blog and glad to read Jon's comments.Could you either forward Jon's mail address or forward mine to him so that we can make contact.
I am also off for a couple of weeks break but hope that I hear from you soon
Regards
Alistair