Friday 23 January 2009

Thalidomide etc

Still no idea yet whether the thalidomide is hitting the myeloma but it does appear to be the case that I'm tolerating this dose of the thalidomide- unlike the last time I took thalidomide( though the last time I also took it with pretty heavy cytotoxic drugs). I've been on it for about 3 weeks now so all looking OK as far as the thalidomide goes.

Number of folks have commented on my positive approach to dealing with all the myeloma has thrown at me but it doesn't feel to me like being positive- just handling it in my way and as best as I can. My wife and I are both agreed that in many respects there have been many silver linings with the myeloma- more time together, more appreciative of our life, family etc etc.

One thing I am conscious of though is maybe underplaying the effects myeloma is having on me more and more- and by that I mean that I've reached the stage where I do need pretty strong pain killers. Those of you who have read my blog for a while will know I don't like taking pain killers- but I now have no choice in the matter- bits of my body have taken a bit of a hammering and I acknowledge the need for strong painkillers and in fact recognise that they can help with the rest of my treatment by removing the need to keep addressing the soreness the myeloma brings with it. Means I can focus on the more positive aspects of my treatment. I certainly need strong pain killers on a Saturday night when the football results come in and I learn how the Brechin City game went!

No comments: